As of Sunday, Peoria has logged 17 homicides this year, already tying last year's total. Here are the victims, in descending chronological order:
17. Anthony Johnson, 43, was shot multiple times Sunday outside the residence of his sister-in-law, Angela Johnson, 40, at 1215 N. Frink St. Angela and Johnson's stepson Justin Stanley, 28, also were shot and were transported to the hospital with what police called non-life-threatening wounds.
16. Orlando Davis, 30, was shot July 11 in the 2700 block of West Trewyn Avenue in the Harrison Homes. Another man also was shot during the incident. Davis' father had been shot hours earlier in the 2100 block of West Howett Street.
15. Adrian Ortega, 19, was shot June 24 behind his home at 912 N. Garfield Ave.
14. Walter Holmes Jr., 21, was shot June 17 in the 2700 block of West Trewyn Avenue in the Harrison Homes. A woman also was shot in the chest during the incident, which may be related to a separate shooting hours earlier in the 2800 block of West Wiswall Street.
13. Willie Martin, 36, died June 13 of injuries sustained in a fight at 1302 W. John H. Gwynn Jr. Ave. earlier that day. Six people have been charged with mob action or other offenses related to the death, though none face a charge of murder.
12. Orvette Davis, 41, was found dead of apparent strangulation May 13 in an alley between the 1400 blocks of Northeast Perry Avenue and Northeast Monroe Street. Edjuan Payne, 40, has been charged with murder and is in custody awaiting trial.
11. Taji Cross, 20, was found dead April 27 in her apartment at 1508 W. Tiffany Drive. An autopsy showed she died from strangulation.
10. Nick Renfro, 20, was shot May 16 outside his mother's Taft Homes apartment. Joyce Renfro also was shot in the leg during the incident but survived. Police continue to search for Dominick "Hammer" Sanders, 22, who is accused of the slaying.
6, 7, 8, 9. Sisters Youlandice Simmons, 24, and Brianna Simmons, 22, as well as Darresse Roddy, 19, died in a fire April 21 at 1212 N. University St. Darryl Miller Jr., 2, died from his injuries the next day. Aunterrio Barney, 33, of Chicago has been charged with murder and arson for the deaths and remains in custody pending trial.
5. Abdallah Kattoum, 31, was shot March 30 at Peoria Food Stop, 728 E. Frye Ave. Keith A. Little Jr. has been charged with first-degree murder, armed violence and armed robbery.
4. Jasmine Brittine, 19, was shot March 21 during an argument outside 2030 S. Oregon St. in the Harrison Homes. Preston D. Marizetts, 18, has been charged with murder and is in custody awaiting trial.
3, 2. Dorothy McDonald, 83, and her son, Stephen McDonald, 65, died in an arson fire discoveredMarch 16 at their home at 207 NE Rock Island Ave.
1. Martha Thomas, 38, was stabbed multiple times Jan. 19 in the 800 block of Northeast Adams Street. Clarence R. Thomas, her estranged husband, has been arrested for the slaying. He remains in custody awaiting trial.